Jeane Ellroy / Getty Images
Core, can you handle this? Legs, can you handle this? Butt, can you handle this? We think you CAN handle this! These six bootylicious moves are amazing exercises for strengthening and lifting your backside. They’re also good for working your core muscles. Each of the six moves below will challenge your midsection in a slightly different way, whether it’s a rotational twist that engages your obliques or a stability test that requires to you tighten your abs to help you stay balanced.
Add these butt + core moves to your routine and get ready to feel double the burn.
Psst! Want more? Shape up, eat clean, and live healthy. Subscribe to SELF for $5.
- Twisted Copper Fountain
- Isabella Collection by Kathy Fielder Queen Monfort Ivory/Gold Ogee Duvet Cover
- Dian Austin Couture Home European Medici Garden Sham
- Everett Runner, 2’3″ x 8′
- Safavieh Mystee Rug, 6′ x 9′
- Beaded Wall Mirror, 36.5″W
- MacKenzie-Childs Courtly Check Beverage Dispenser
- Exquisite Rugs Freya Hairhide Rug, 5′ x 8′
- Coral Life IV Giclee
- Ricci Silversmiths 20-Piece “Amalfi” Flatware Service
- “Paxton” Coffee Table
- Sweet Dreams King Jacqueline Pieced Sham with Onion Trim
- Mike & Ally Chantilly Soap Dish
- John-Richard Collection Veronika Mirrored Cabinet
- Empire Scrolls Rug, 3’6″ x 5’6″
- Sweet Dreams King Florabundance Duvet Cover
- Dian Austin Couture Home Diamond European Sham
- Jay Strongwater Floral Butterfly Figurine
- Sweet Dreams Radiance Neckroll Pillow, 8″ x 25″
- Irwin Flatweave Rug, 3’6″ x 5’6″
- Frida Bon Ton Pyramid Waste Bag Carrier
- Harry Barker Medium Natural Tweed Bed
- Ritter Oushak Rug, 9′ x 12′
- Annie Selke Luxe King Striee Sham
- MacKenzie-Childs Yo-Yo Table
- Dash & Albert Rug Company Francine Rug, 5′ x 8′
- “Golden Horizon” Giclee
- Dian Austin Couture Home Villa di Como Lattice Pillow
- Talavera Rug, 9′ x 13′
- Agate Table Lamp
- Geometric Capiz Garden Stool
- MacKenzie-Childs Courtly Farmhouse Writer’s Lamp
- Dian Austin Couture Home Queen Aviana Prism Plisse Coverlet
- Jay Strongwater Emilia Stone-Edge Frame
- Sweet Dreams European Faux-Fox Sham
- Sea Mist Oversized Ottoman
- Barclay Butera Paulina Tufted-Leather Chair
- Florissant Rug, 5’3″ x 7′ 5″
- Dian Austin Couture Home Florence Framed Pillow, 18″Sq.
- Mallory Queen Bed
- Jay Strongwater Bouquet Vase
- Modern Block Rug, 8′ x 11′
- Exquisite Rugs Sterling Greek-Key Rug, 5′ x 8′
- Haute House Aurora Queen Bed
- Dian Austin Couture Home European Dahlia Stripe Sham with Fringe
- Exquisite Rugs Blue Horizon Rug, 9′ x 12′
- Lukin Slate Rug, 5’6″ x 8’6″
- Francesca Queen Bed
- Surf Tile Reversible Outdoor Pillow
- French Laundry Home Queen Ticking-Stripe Dust Skirt
- Pacific Coast Home Furnishings Queen 600TC Eight-Piece Sheet Set
- Springdale Runner, 2’6″ x 10′
- Natori Tsuba Geo Runner
- Safavieh Cavanaugh Rug, 9′ x 12′
- Rope-Edge Fireplace Mantel
- Wakita Rug, 4′ x 6′
- Astral Blossom Runner, 2’4″ x 8′
- Back Bay Rug, 9’6″ x 13′
- Wembley Nightstand
- Riverstone Rug, 5’6″ x 7’5″
- Scalloped-Edge Mirrored Tray
- Michael Aram Pomegranate Tray
- Exquisite Rugs Revias Mist Rug, 9′ x 12′
- Wayfarer Lamp
- Global Views Cordelia Bar Cart
- Golden Sky Rug, 8′ x 11′
- Small Ceramic & Pewter Pedestal Server
- Shepard Swivel Barstool
1. Curtsy Kick
- Stand tall with feet hip-width apart.
- Step left leg diagonally behind right leg and bend knees to lower into a lunge. Keep spine long, shoulders rolled down, and back and abs tight.
- Push through right heel to stand, and sweep left leg out to side.
- Immediately move into the next rep. Don’t forget to do both sides.
2. Reverse Lunge With Twist
- Start standing with feet hip-width apart. Hold a medium-weight dumbbell at chest height.
- Take a big step back with left foot and bend knees to lower into lunge while twisting torso over right (front) leg.
- Return to standing, then repeat with the opposite leg.
- While this GIF shows the exercise using a dumbbell, you can ditch the weight, too!
3. Goblet Squat
- You’ll need a dumbbell or kettlebell for this move—choose a medium to heavy weight.
- Hold the weight at your chest in both hands and stand with feet hip-width to shoulder-width apart. Stand tall and engage core.
- Drop butt back and down and keep chest up. Sit back onto your heels without shifting weight forward onto the balls of feet.
- Driving through heels, come back up to standing. Squeeze glutes at the top.
4. Single-Leg Glute Bridge
- Lie on back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Lift left leg straight out and squeeze glutes, driving hips up.
- Keep your leg lifted and lower your hips back down. Don’t forget… [Read More]