Busy professionals cannot waste a single second of their day. Our bodies need energy to keep moving at that pace. If you often work through lunch and go hours without even breaking for a snack, you may have difficulty concentrating and getting results from the work you’re putting in.
There are a few things you can do to keep yourself healthy while you’re powering through your day. Just a few simple changes can make a big difference in your energy levels, as well as your overall health.
1. Don’t skip breakfast.
As you’re running out the door for your early-morning meeting, the last thing you’re thinking about is stopping for breakfast. But breakfast skipping has been linked with an increase in obesity and diabetes risks, as well as morning moodiness. Here are a few quick, healthy breakfast ideas you can put together at home or once you arrive at the office.
2. Make it convenient.
You likely find you have little time to stop by the grocery store, especially during the workweek. Grubmarket (love these guys) brings fresh food from local farmers directly to my home and office. Grubmarket’s snack pouches are perfect for keeping on hand when you want a snack. You can also have farm-fresh poultry, eggs, produce, meat, and other items delivered, saving you a trip to the store or farmer’s market.
3. Prepare in advance.
One of the best things you can do is prepare snacks and meals for your day before you leave in the morning, especially if you’ll be working through lunch. But what if there is rarely time to put a meal together in the morning? You can solve this problem by setting time aside over the weekend to prepare snacks and meals for the week. Purchase plastic containers that can be refrigerated or frozen and picked up each morning on the way out the door.
4. Invest in grab-and-go snacks.
Look around your office. If there’s nothing to snack on, you may find yourself shrugging off your hunger for hours or—worse—heading down the hall to the vending machine. Purchase healthy snack-size foods like boxes of raisins or healthy granola bars. Blue Diamond 100-calorie Almond Packs are a great way to get the many health benefits of almonds without eating an entire bag.
5. Don’t eat and work.
Multitasking has been proven to be disastrous to the waistline. Instead of distractedly munching on a salad while you’re working on a proposal, set your work aside and focus completely on your meal. Better yet, take your lunch outside on a nice day and combine the benefits of fresh air with savoring your food. You’ll have a more pleasurable eating experience and return to your desk feeling refreshed.
6. Eat and meet.
While distracted eating may be bad, socializing has its health benefits. Schedule lunch meetings as often as possible to make sure you get a good midday meal in. You could use the opportunity to take team members offsite to get their ideas, meet with clients, or network with local colleagues.
- Kiton Mini Floral-Print Long-Sleeve Sport Shirt, Light Blue
- Jill Jill Stuart Sleeveless V-Neck Column Gown, Poppy
- TOM FORD Striped Button-Down Shirt, Blue/White
- Escada Narrow-Leg Jersey Trousers
- Elie Saab Beaded Contrast Tulle Gown, Black
- Chloe Perforated Leather Ballerina Flat, Beige Rose
- Akris punto Notch-Collar Two-Button Suede Blazer, Tarn
- Brunello Cucinelli Long-Sleeve Contrast-Trim Cardigan, Butter/Black
- Carven Collared Clover Twill Shirtdress
- John Varvatos Bleecker Leather Zip-Up Boot, Black
- Alexander Wang Gabi Tilt-Heel Leather Boot, Black
- Erdem Rainie Sleeveless Lace Shift Dress
- Tod’s Gommini Suede Driving Shoe, Tan
- TOM FORD One-Button Long-Sleeve Jacket W/Fringe, Black
- Dawn Levy Harper Belted Wrap Coat W/ Leather Trim
- ERIN erin fetherston Agnes Two-Tone Cocktail Dress
- Alice + Olivia Merrill Floral-Embroidered Sleeveless Maxi Dress
- Moncler Talcy Turtleneck Down Puffer Coat, Charcoal, Size ส.ค.-14
- Alexander Wang Cata Suede Tile-Heel Wedge Sandal, Ash
- Stefano Ricci Contrast-Collar Bold-Stripe Dress Shirt, Blue
- SFERRA Queen Classic Sateen 590TC Fitted Sheet
- Burberry Sunray Stainless Steel Watch
- TOM FORD Striped Button-Down Shirt, Blue/White
- Versace Collection Trend-Fit Stretch Coated Moto Jeans, Black
- Valentino Rockrunner Mesh/Leather Sneaker, Black
- Stefano Ricci Five-Pocket Straight-Leg Denim Jeans, Blue
- Roberto Coin Yellow Gold Heart Diamond Bracelet
- Armenta New World Scalloped Diamond Hoop Earrings
- Carolina Herrera Chalk-Striped Peplum Jacket, Navy
- J. Mendel Lace Overlay Pencil Skirt, Marine
- Nancy Gonzalez Modern Large Crocodile Tote Bag, Charcoal
- Ermenegildo Zegna Check Two-Button Wool Sport Jacket, Green Multi
- Eileen Fisher Cap-Sleeve Button-Front Shibori Tunic, Mulberry
- Ralph Lauren King Bedford Jacquard Duvet Cover
- Salvatore Ferragamo Patterned Silk Square Scarf, Blue/Multicolor
- Aidan Mattox Illusion-Neck Beaded Gown, Petal
- Jason Wu Daphne Calf-Hair Tote Bag, Blue
- Helmut Lang Double-Face Wool/Cashmere Coat, Bark
- Gurhan 24K Small Rain Hoop Earrings
- Fendi DOTCOM Medium Leather Satchel Bag, Bark/Bubblegum
- Bernhardt Sunset Key Dresser
- Alexander McQueen Perforated Leather Low-Top Sneaker, Black/Red
- Joie Jaelle Crocheted-Knit Asymmetrical Jacket
- Michael Kors Collection Cutaway-Front Riding Jacket, Black
- Wembley Queen Bed
- Jay Strongwater Floral Oval Tray
- Black Halo Sleeveless Floral Popover Sheath Dress
- Roberto Cavalli Kimono Floral-Print Button-Front Blouse, Yellow/Pink
- Ippolita 18K Glamazon Stardust Hinged Diamond Bangle
- Camilla Embellished Wide-Leg Jumpsuit, Realm
- ERIN erin fetherston Sienna Halter Fit & Flare Cocktail Dress
- Massoud Noble Banquette
- Alexander McQueen Five-Pocket Degrade Slim-Fit Denim Jeans, Gray
- Nancy Gonzalez Gotham Crocodile Clutch Bag, Gray
- Isaia Plaid Soft Jacket, Green
- Antiqued-Silver Beaded Floor Mirror
- Parker Black Theater Sleeveless Sequined Fit & Flare Dress
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Leather Zip Backpack, Cerulean
- TOM FORD Slim-Fit Micro-Houndstooth Dress Shirt, Light Blue
- Brunello Cucinelli Cropped Stretch Cotton Pants
- Jason Wu Corded Lace Skirt, Black
- Pologeorgis Two-Tier Stretch Knit Fur Cowl
- Sleeveless Ruffle Dress W/Cutouts, Bright Pink
- Chloe Frayed-Hem Denim Shift Dress, Light Blue Denim
- CoSTUME NATIONAL Sleeveless Belted Column Jacket, Optic White
- Badgley Mischka Halter-Neck Colorblock Column Gown, Black/Light Ivory
- Eileen Fisher Silk-Organic/Cotton Open Cardigan, Midnight, Plus Size
- Jacob Cohen Slim-Fit Straight-Leg Jeans, White
- Balenciaga Metallic Edge Envelope Crossbody Bag, Black
- Elizabeth Locke Chinese Gaming Counter Pearl Pendant
- Konstantino Myrmidones Men’s Etched Shield Ring
- J. Mendel Sleeveless V-Neck Lace-Overlay Gown, Noir/Ruby
- Dolce & Gabbana Martini Stretch-Wool Suit, Charcoal
- Ippolita Sterling Silver Senso™ 8mm Station Stud Earrings with Diamonds
- VBH Capri Stingray & Vitello Bag, Silver/White
- Nicole Miller Artelier Short-Sleeve Tweed Sheath Dress
- Prada Cat-Eye Double-Bridge Sunglasses, Black
- Pine Cone Hill Queen Stone Washed Duvet Cover
- Incotex Ray Regular-Fit Five-Pocket Pants, Navy
- John-Richard Collection Molten Lace Vase
- Belinda Golden Mirrored Bench
- Gucci Web Canvas Slim Briefcase, Black
- Foundrae Sleeveless Printed Silk-Blend Handkerchief Dress
- Burberry Brit Bramington Feminine Belted Trench Coat
- Gucci Dionysus Suede Over-The-Knee Boot, Nero
- Theia Sleeveless Floral Combo Cocktail Dress
- Armenta Sterling Silver Twisted Link Necklace, 20″L
- Valentino Rockstud Flip-Lock Messenger Bag, Black
- Judith Leiber Couture Chryssie Cylinder Minaudiere, Jet/Multi
- CoSTUME NATIONAL V-Neck Combo Shift Dress, Black/White
- Kobi Halperin Crochet Lace Skirt
- Vita Fede Mare Wrap Cuff Bracelet
- Jan Leslie Orca Cuff Links
- Roberto Cavalli Cold-Shoulder Feather-Print Tunic Top, Black/Pink
- Hooker Furniture Hadleigh California King Bed
- Carolina Herrera Geometric-Print Short-Sleeve Gown, Cobalt Blue
- Berluti Scritto Leather Messenger Bag, Brown
- Alexandre Birman Leather Bow-Tie d’Orsay Sandal, Black
- Lana 14k Gold Large Arch Hoop Earrings
- MSGM Long-Sleeve Printed Maxi Dress, Red/Blue
- Ermenegildo Zegna Torino Peak-Lapel High-Performance Wool Suit, Light Gray
- Roger Vivier Polly Suede Buckle Knee Boot, Bordeaux
- Jan Leslie Agate Cuff Links, Red
- Lafayette 148 New York Punto Milano Long Pencil Skirt, Black, Plus Size
- Ermenegildo Zegna Reversible Full-Zip Jacket, Charcoal
- Longchamp Mystery Leather Hobo Bag, Cognac
- Carolina Herrera Faille Strapless Gown
- John Hardy Classic Chain Medium Silver Hoop Earrings with Black Sapphires
- Lafayette 148 New York Greer Cashmere Jacket W/Leather Trim, Nickel Melange
- Sandstone Slipcover Sofa
- Apiece Apart Glorieta Off-The-Shoulder Top, Navy Cactus Stripe
- Lafayette 148 New York Nadette Short-Sleeve Floral-Print Top
- Shinola Birdy Leather Double-Wrap Watch, 34mm
- Bally Leather Slip-On Driver, Black
7. Stay hydrated.
Whether you like the taste of it or not, water is an important part of good health. Consider having an in-office water cooler to make it easy for you and your team members to stay hydrated throughout the day. If this isn’t a possibility, keep a small refrigerator in your office to hold bottled water.
8. Choose healthy options at restaurants.
Eating out is inevitable for a busy professional, but you don’t have to settle for greasy fast food options. Almost all restaurant chains have healthy dining options to attract health-conscious customers. To play it safe, stick with grilled instead of fried and choose sides like fruits, soups, and salads over fries or onion rings.
9. Make family dinners a priority.
Evening meals are an important time for families. Make sure you’re home every evening in time to share a leisurely meal with your spouse or your family. If you’re single, schedule regular get-togethers with friends where you enjoy a healthy meal. This will help you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
10. Grocery shop wisely.
Experts recommend spending most of your time in the outer sections of the grocery store when shopping for food. Produce, dairy, meats, poultry, and eggs should make up the majority of your shopping time, keeping you away from the packaged, preservative-filled foods in the center aisles.
11. Choose quality.
Make sure most of your diet includes nutrient-dense foods that let you accomplish more with less. Avoid sugar and empty calories and instead focus on making sure each snack and meal packs as much punch as possible. Remember, you’re going for fueling your body and mind so you can accomplish more.
12. Limit alcohol.
As tempting as it can be to indulge in a happy hour drink after work, it’s one of the worst ways to add calories to your diet. While the occasional drink or two won’t hurt, it’s important to moderate your alcohol consumption, especially if the rest of your diet is severely lacking.
If you take care of your mind and body, you’ll find you’re more productive and have more energy throughout the day. You’ll also keep yourself healthy, which will allow you to avoid… [Read More]